Report Shows Coronavirus has Impacted SA Gambling Industry Significantly
A new report which covers the South African gambling industry shines light on the major impact that COVID-19 has had so far. The South African Gambling Industry in South Africa 2020 report by ResearchAndMarkets.com points out that the country’s industry had mixed results last year. As with previous years, the National Lottery attracted the most South African gambler. The growing popularity of bingo, betting and LPM’s resulted in a decline in the casino segment’s natural market share. Online gambling’s popularity also continues to grow in South Africa.
But it was the impact of the coronavirus that made headlines in the report.
Some of the effects of COVID-19 on the industry so far include:
• The cancellation or indefinite postponement of horse racing and sports events.
• The closure of bingo halls, South African casinos, totalisators and other gambling establishments until further notice.
• A surge in activity at online gambling sites – in SA and across the world.
• Business owners are worried that casinos will not resume the same level of income once lockdown ends.
What else does the report touch on?
It takes a comprehensive look at the South African gambling industry, including, among other things:
• The South African lottery
• Brick and mortar casinos
• Limited payout machines
• Betting (including horse racing).
The report provides profiles all national and provincial gambling board in South Africa, as well as over 20 leading gambling companies that operate in the SA market, such as Sun International and Tsogo Sun. It also provides a profile of Ithuba, the National Lottery operator, as well as Phumelela Gaming and Leisure, which is a major name in South Africa’s horse racing industry.
Company profiles and gambling boards examined are as follows:
• Eastern Cape Gambling And Betting Board
• Egoli Gaming (Pty) Ltd
• Free State Gambling, Liquor And Tourism Authority
• Gauteng Gambling Board
• Gold Circle (Pty) Ltd
• Hollywood Sportsbook Holdings (Pty) Ltd
• Ithuba Holdings (Rf) (Pty) Ltd
• Kwazulu-Natal Gaming And Betting Board
• Limpopo Gambling Board
• National Gambling Board
• Netbet (Pty) Ltd
• North West Gambling Board
• Northern Cape Casino Consultants Kairo (Pty) Ltd
• Northern Cape Gambling Board
• L I M P (Pty) Ltd
• Peermont Global (Pty) Ltd
• Phumelela Gaming And Leisure Ltd
• Sun International Ltd
• Tsogo Sun Gaming Ltd
• Western Cape Gambling And Racing Board